Thursday, May 24, 2007

If the worst should happen, thou shalt be covered

I figured it was time for a real discussion blog since the last one was awhile ago. I am still writing the immigration blog. I just have SO much to say that I cannot get it all down in a coherent, non-ranting, non-ruining my future Presidential campaign piece. And now with this new piece of legislation that some claim is not complete “amnesty”...well, don’t get me started.

So, I was at a happy hour with Melissa and her co-worker and her fiancĂ© and a very interesting statement was made, as they usually are at happy hours. The statement was that religion might be the oldest form of insurance. Hmmm. That struck a cord within me, being that I am an insurance professional. Is religion the oldest form of insurance? At first, I didn’t think much of it, but it kept coming back to me with some thought provoking parallels (some weak, some strong).

So, before I get deep into this, I want to make a disclaimer that I am not trashing religion in general or any religion specifically. I just want to stimulate the mind with something different for a change. Here goes...

Most forms of insurance are sold through agents. Individuals who preach (hint) the advantages and disadvantages of coverage and what might happen to you if you don’t have it. Well, isn’t that similar to ministers, priests and rabbi’s or any similar figure in a different religion? Ever heard while sitting there in a congregation what would happen to your soul if you don’t believe or accept/believe certain teachings? Parallel? Possibly.

How about the actual insurance policy? The document that tells you what is covered, what can void coverage and what you have to do to secure coverage. Well, isn’t that what the Bible is? How about the Koran? Now, I have never read either from cover to cover, but my cursory knowledge of both lends me to believe that these books contain similar information concerning what you need to do to get, and keep, your soul protected from eternal damnation.

And last, why do people buy insurance? They want to know they are protected in the event of a catastrophe. That when the worst happens, they will be made whole. It makes them feel comfortable and sleep better at night. Why do some people practice religion? Well, in the event of the inevitable (yes, we all will die one day) they feel their soul will be in good hands for eternity. The theory is that you pay a premium (insurance) or buy into the teachings (religion) so that you benefit from the payoff in the end.

Yes, it sounds a bit crude and sarcastic about religion, but let’s be honest, not everyone in the same religion believes the same thing. And if you think they do, then you are sadly misleading yourself. Yes, I believe in God, but I don’t buy into the notion that I cannot ask questions or have an opinion other than one force fed to me. I was that kid in Sunday school that always had his hand raised. Religion and insurance contain complexities beyond the simple comparisons made here and differ on many levels, but you have to admit, some similarities do exist.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting topic, and as insurance professional and believer in Christ, I will add my two cents. While I do see the similarities in religion and insurance, there are a few areas I don't quote agree with. Number one, while the purpose of insurance is to protect someone in the even of an accident or incident and "make them whole" again, not all religions can guarantee eternal life. By thinking that they do, is the same as thinking a Ford Taurus alone can get you over to France the same way a Boeing 747 will. While they are both modes of transportation, only one is truly equipped to do so. I could go on further on this point, but that is for another time. Second, the so-called premium that an insured must pay to the insurance company in not the same for all "religions". While most do require that the payment be a strict adherence to laws and holy writings, Christianity is uniquely different where the "premium" has already been paid, by Christ alone. You cannot do anything to get into heaven through Christianity other than believe that Christ died for for your sins out of love for you. The adherence to the Bible and commandment is simply a response of love and appreciation that Christians have for God, and it is how we thank Him and love Him in return. My premium has already been paid, and my policy cannot be canceled! I know this response may strike an unpleasant chord with some people, or it may bring up further questions. If anyone would like to discuss this further, Wes knows where I am. Peace.

Mike said...

I suppose that some may view religion as an "insurance policy." Specifically, those who have terminal illnesses and are staring death in the face and then decide to "buy into" religion at that time - those people strike me as the kind looking to "insure" the future of their soul. Similarly, if one converts to a religion based on some form of fear tactics - fire and brimstone preaching - there would seem to be some parallels with insurance.

However, while I do not know that I have ever had many specific conversations with people on why they converted to one religion or another, I believe that there are plenty of individuals who do not take this "insurance" route. (I will discuss Christianity, since I am a Christian and it's what I know best.) Aren't there plenty of people who are Christians b/c they believe it is the "right" way to live? Aren't there plenty of people who would say, "God / Jesus calls us to live as Christians, and that's why I have made this choice"?

A second difference seems to appear. What are the benefits of an insurance policy as long as one does not experience one of these "catastrophes?" None that I know of, other than peace of mind and a slightly reduced premium. So again, if you converted to a religion as insurance for your soul, there's a parallel - you mainly wanted peace of mind. But for those who are truly active Christians, the benefits accrue far before one "cashes in" on the insurance policy for the soul. How about living every single minute of your life, all the relationships around you, as Jesus has taught us to live. This brings enormous benefits. Hopefully, I don't have to go into details here - you realize that there are endless joys to be had living one's life as a Christian.

I haven't even done this topic justice, but there's my initial thoughts.